During the trimester, you need an additional 500 calories a day. Here are the other nutrient details:
- DHA is important for the proper development of the fetal brain and retina during the third trimester. Its requirement increases from 100 to 200mg per day.
- You need a daily dose of 1,000mg calcium, which is essential to build bones and teeth in your baby. Milk and other dairy products, such as cheese and yogurt, are the best sources of calcium.
- Vitamin D is needed for the bones to absorb calcium. You would need 15 µg per day.
- With the progressing pregnancy, the iron requirement for fetal growth rises in proportion to the weight of the fetus, with most of the iron accumulating during the third trimester. You would need 27mg of it every day.
- Folic acid is essential to avoid neural defects in the baby. Your intake can go up to 800µg per day.
- You need 26g a day of protein in the third trimester as it is required to maintain maternal tissues and fetal growth.
The third trimester of pregnancy starts in the 28th week and extends till delivery. During this time, you need sufficient energy to keep up with the routines throughout the day. Rely on the right diet so that you and your baby get all the required nutrition.
Below are foods that need to be a part of your third-trimester pregnancy diet